UNDERSTANDING VEHICLE SPECS
Must-Know Car Specs Explained in Marion, IN
Before you buy your next vehicle, you’ll probably research your options to find the right fit. As you look around, however, you might see some terminology that could use some explanation. At Hunter Ford, we want to prepare you to shop with confidence, so let’s define those automotive terms to set you up for success.
- Horsepower (HP): This is the measure of power that the engine is capable of. The higher the horsepower, the more powerful the engine is, and the faster it can achieve its top speed. High-horsepower models include the brawny Ford F-150 and sporty Mustang.
- Torque: This is the measure of rotational force that the vehicle is capable of. The higher a vehicle’s torque is, the quicker it can accelerate from a standstill.
- Miles per Gallon (MPG): A Car’s fuel efficiency is measured by how many miles it can run on a gallon of gasoline.
- Transmission: Transmission sends power from the engine to drive the wheels, and it switches to specific gears depending on your speed. The automatic transmission shifts gears for you, while the manual transmission lets you handle gear shifting yourself with either a shift knob or paddle shifters. A continuously variable automatic doesn’t use fixed gears but offers fluid shifting via belts and pulleys.
- Drivetrain: Vehicles ride on either Four-Wheel Drive (4WD), All-Wheel Drive (AWD), Front-Wheel Drive (FWD), or Four-Wheel Drive. The drivetrain can have an influence on your vehicle’s handling, fuel efficiency, and traction, and certain drivetrains are better suited for various situations. If you want sportier performance, consider a model with RWD, and if you’re going off-road, look for AWD or 4WD.
- Curb Weight: This is how much a car weighs without any passengers or cargo inside.
- Towing Capacity: This is the maximum weight a vehicle can tow.
- Wheelbase: This is the distance between the front and rear axles. If a vehicle sports a long wheelbase, it could offer a roomy interior and smooth ride.
- Dimensions (Length x Width x Height): This indicates the size of a vehicle, giving you an idea of how it could fit within parking spaces or traffic lanes.
- Ground Clearance: This is the distance between the bottom of the vehicle’s body and the ground. If you’re taking a vehicle off-road, then a high ground clearance can help it avoid damage from obstacles and uneven terrain.
- Tire Size: Vehicles perform best when properly fitted with the right size and type of tires, as the tires can influence performance, traction, and fuel efficiency.
- Infotainment System: This is the user interface for your apps and tech features. It could be made up of a touchscreen, display screen, and/or buttons and knobs. Depending on what your vehicle is equipped with, the system can let you access sound system controls, navigation, and other tech options.
- Connectivity: Connectivity features can include synchronization with smartphones, Bluetooth®*, and Wi-Fi hotspot capability.
- Safety Features: This includes your basic safety tools like airbags and antilock brakes, as well as cutting-edge safety tech systems and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS). These options can help you stay alert and avoid road hazards as you travel.
- Warranty: Manufacturers cover their vehicle’s repair and replacement needs for a period of time with a warranty. If you see a long warranty available with a vehicle, that likely means that the manufacturer is confident that the model is reliable and well-made.
- Resale Value: A high resale value is another indicator that the vehicle is reliable and trusted. This is an estimated price that a buyer might pay if the vehicle is sold in the future.
Visit Our Ford Dealership in Marion, IN
When you’re ready to get behind the wheel of your next vehicle, it’ll be here waiting for you at Hunter Ford. Our Ford experts can show you all there is to know about the vehicle you have your eye on, and we’ll also connect you with a great deal here at our dealership. We look forward to seeing you soon at 1430 N Baldwin Avenue, Marion, Indiana 46952. Come see the difference the Hunter Ford team can make for you!